The history of tool-making is the story of how man has learned to convert the energy around him to his advantage. His imaginative enabled him to foresee how tools could reinforce his capabilities. These tools multiply a man’s strength and minimize effort by harnessing the natural forces that surround him. For instance, the wedge and the lever enabled him to break up or lift heavy objects. As a result, tools have accelerated the pace of technological development.
The introduction of hydraulic power on machine tool has greatly helped in increasing the effectiveness of these tools. Hydraulic power, the power exerted by the resistance of liquids or air to compression is one of the natural forces that man was able to harness in aiding human strength. The development and use of this kind of power has a tremendous change in the design and advancement of tool making.
Generally, hydraulic power is used to Hydraulic Presses. Hydraulic presses are metal forging machines that used compressed air or water in shaping metals. They can be manually or machine operated.
The proponents of this project believe that the fabrication of a Manually Operated Press is an essential tool needed by the mechanical engineering students of East Asian University. This will give them the actual working principle of a hydraulic press, the knowledge of harnessing and controlling hydraulic power, the knowledge of designing machinery element, and the necessary tools needed in the performance of their laboratory works
Furthermore, the usefulness of this apparatus is not only limited for laboratory works and as an instructional device. It also serves as a challenge for others to design tools and to develop new technology.
Evaluation of the Hydraulic Press
This machine, like other tools in a machine shop, is a very important element in all metal works because it makes pressing and shaping of metals easier. The fabricated hydraulic press is comparable to any commercially done machines in terms of durability and strength since it was designed and engineered based on the most economical but durable material.
The equipment has a compression capability of 8 tons which when translated to work effectiveness can press heavier metals effectively. In terms of efficiency, the harnessing of hydraulic press eases the work load on human beings and the accuracy of compression is greater compared to hammer and anvil method. Thus, less effort is needed and more time is spent on the work. In terms of cost effectiveness, the press was designed for manual operation hence, electricity or machinery is not needed to operated it. Thus, making it environment friendly and economical.
Based on the performance of the manually-operated hydraulic press, the following were derived:
- The equipment is an essential tool in the performance of laboratory projects of mechanical engineering students.
- The fabrication of the compression machine is worth its cost, since it has saved financially the EAU for the same laboratory equipment.
- The equipment is more efficient and effective compared to the anvil and hammer method of pressing metals.
- It is safe and easy to operate since hydraulic power is easy to control.
- Finally, the equipment is environment friendly and economical since no machines or electricity is needed in its operation. Compressed air water free and pollution free.
Based on the findings and conclusions drawn, the following recommendations are offered:
- The use of hydraulic press for instructional device is very much recommended, since it has given mechanical engineering students the working knowledge on how to harness and control hydraulic power to aid machinists.
- The use of the equipment in laboratory works of the students is also recommended because it will not only provide them with the needed equipment in easing their work but will also give them the necessary know-how in designing and manufacturing hydraulic equipment.
- With the advent of computer based machinery and sophisticated instruments, it is necessary that a further study on the design of the hydraulic press be conducted to maximize the use of hydraulic power. This will also encourage others to develop new designs in utilizing hydraulic power.
By: L&M Mechanical Works